Monday, October 31, 2011

Locke, Stock, and Beryl


These three boys were my rescues from the hoarding situation.  For rats that were essentially feral and had never been socialized, they were all incredibly sweet.  They had some issues, to be sure, but they were definitely not "bad" rats by any means and I was lucky to have them in my life.

Beryl was my boyfriend's favorite, his "heart rat" as they call them.  He used to keep him out on the desk when he was playing videogames, and share snacks with him.  We even brought Beryl to a family get-together once, in his carrier, and everyone slipped him table scraps.  Stock was always more of a rugged loner, always causing trouble with the rats he lived with, but he was very sweet with people and loved to give kisses.



Locke passed away suddenly and unexpectedly from heart issues just a few weeks after he came to live with me.  The shock of it still hits me, sometimes.

Stock stayed with me for over a year.  He was about 18 months when he had a debilitating stroke; he recovered well from the first stroke and continued to be a sweet, lovely squish for another week before a second stroke claimed his life.

Beryl lived to be 22 months old and finally passed away from congestive heart failure.  We were treating it aggressively, but it just wasn't enough to sustain him.

No comments: