Monday, October 31, 2011

Wesley



Wesley and his brother Basil came to me as 9-week-old babies.  Their pregnant mother had escaped from her cage at Petco and had her litter loose in the store.  The babies were discovered -- I believe the mother had been killed in a trap -- and raised on a surrogate mom.  Someone called me begging to take some so they wouldn't all end up as snake food.  

Wesley had a head tilt from an inner ear infection.  I treated him for the infection and he never had any balance issues as a result of it, but he always tilted throughout his whole life.  

He was always an outgoing, exuberant youngster.  Always curious, always on the go.  He mellowed out a little in his old age, but he never liked to be held or snuggled -- he was always much more eager to explore.  He got along with every rat he met and was always making friends.  

He ended up with a pituitary tumor.  It caused deteriorating weight loss and poor coordination, but he did alright with it for a few weeks before finally going severely downhill.  His last day, he ran out of the cage to give me a kiss; when I came home from work that evening, he had passed quietly in his sleep. 

No comments: