Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ginji & Ban


I had put rescuing for myself on hold for quite awhile.  At first, the house was at max capacity.  Then, as rats started to pass away, I didn't want to bring in anymore as I could hardly stand the heartbreak.  Eventually, though, things settled down around the house and I started aching for some new guys. 

Someone posted a "need rats gone asap" type ad on Craigslist, so I responded and went out to pick up these two.  The owner was moving and unable to bring the boys along for some reason or another.  He was nice enough, and though the rats have been fed a very poor diet they're otherwise in good health and very social. 



I named them Ginji and Ban after characters in an anime I like called Getbackers.  They names are oddly fitting: Much like the characters, these two are inseparable best friends who are total goofballs.  Although they look nearly identical, Ban is actually older than Ginji by at least a few months; the guy who bought them said that Ban had been at the pet store for months while Ginji was just a baby when he got him.  They probably did come from similar breeding stock, though, seeing as they were both bought at the Petsmart in El Paso. 



Ginji is the one with the white spot on his head.  He's the more out-going of the two and he loves food.  He'll stand up on his hind paws to take a treat from you, and he'll run away to stash it before running back for more.  Ban, who has some black spots on his shoulder, is a little more reserved and aloof, but also more cuddly. 



Ginji investigate Normoth

Since they're both young and goofy, I thought they'd be good to intro in with Einstein, who has some major authority issues.  They hit it off immediately.  Normoth, who had been living with Einstein, also moved in with the crowd.  I had originally planned to move Normy back in with his brothers, but he became fast friends with Ginji and I couldn't bear to separate them.  One day perhaps I'll be able to move the entire colony together, but for now I've got it in two groups. 

No comments: