Sunday, November 27, 2011

Reading with Rats



I've been rather lax in updating this blog lately.  Rest assured, the rats themselves are not nearly as neglected as this blog :)

So why the lack of updates?

Well, because I got an early Christmas present on Sunday -- a brand new Kindle.  Not the newest Kindle Fire, mind.  Just the original 6" Kindle, the $79 model.  It's exactly what I wanted, and it hasn't been more than a few feet away from me since I received it.  I'm pretty much addicted to it.

Of course, there's nothing better than curling up in bed with a good book, unless it's curling up in bed with a good book and a rat.  Some rats are better for snuggling than others.  Some rats would rather chew on your Kindle, climb all over your hands, or sneak off the bed.  Others will delight in ignoring you while they go about their daily routine.  Others will curl up next to you, or on your lap, and enjoy absent scritches while you read.  Of course, these rats are the best reading buddies.

You can see how "wasted" he looks here.  He's not super skinny, but his sides are sunken in by atrophied muscle.  Most of his weight is in his fluid-filled chest, thanks to the CHF


Lately, I've been enjoying Basil's company.  He's such an old slug of a rat that he'll happily burrow down into the covers and snooze, and he matches the blankets.

He still doesn't really like people as much as he likes rats.  He never will.  But he tolerates my presence with all the dignity of an old rat royalty, and I can't ask for anything more.

No comments: